Monday, July 13, 2015

My Fake Tan Obsession

Having been very light skinned and being ridiculed for it when I was younger, when fake tan hit the high street I thought I'd found my saviour. Being called Casper, milk bottle and Snow White to name a few from the others kids in school, I quickly grew a hate for my ivory skin tone. What my Nana would always tell me was beautiful, I found quite frankly, embarrassing.



I was the skinny, pale kid, who got tested for Anaemia almost every time I went to the Doctors. Including a time I went with my mother - to her appointment. The Doctor took one look at me and said he needed to immediately test for it - again. 

No, I'm not anaemic, I'm just pale. 

I first started using the fake tan wipes. You could get them so cheap in a local pharmacy. People didn't really use fake tan then, but I remember feeling so happy that I could go to a party and not feel embarrassed about my colour. Fake tan slowly started growing, until it began to be a normal sort of thing. I remember my mother bought a bottle of St. Tropez mousse. We literally had it for ages (it was that rare she'd let me use it) and shared it between us - special occasions I was allowed it for!

As I've gotten older, I've learnt to get along with my skin better. It's still very much a working progress but I definitely don't feel the need to tan as much as I used to. I used to tan almost every week. Same routine. Now I usually just tan for occasions.

I got to a point where I'd feel so ugly without it. I still get that from time to time now, but like I said, a working progress.

I don't know if it's a sign of getting older, or if I'm just sick of pandering to other peoples opinions, but I just don't care as much. I'm not going to lie, I don't think I could go 'out out' without any tan on mind. I like dressing up too much and this is definitely part of my routine! 

I remember going to the Beauticians and getting my eyebrows waxed when I was about 12. The lady was talking about my freckles (I'd just been on holidays), I quickly started slating my skin tone and my freckles. She said to me, "a face without freckles, is a sky without stars." It really stuck with me.




I've become sort of a fake tan ambassador over the years. When people try to understand why I'd rather take a bottle of the good stuff on holiday with me than lay in the sun for hours, they just don't seem to get it. My logic is; I'd rather be sticky for a bit whilst the tan dries, than ruin my skin for a pointless sunbathe that's only going to leave me raw and sun burnt. I have a much higher risk of sun damage due to having blue eyes and fair skin. So, to me, this is a no-brainer. 


Coming back from Dominican Republic when I was around 19, got on the plane and a member of the Cabin Crew turns to me and goes, "Oh, you've been hiding from the sun for two weeks, have you?" and let our a massive laugh. It was as I was walking up the aisle of the plane. I was so embarrassed.


The many years of tanning experience I have had has left me with a lot of handy tips for the perfect tan. Check out my guide to a better fake tan here.

I still haven't been able to find a foundation that I like with my skin tone. I've tried quite a lot of different ones, but I find I need more coverage without tan on. Because of how light I am you can see any blemish I have really easily (nightmare)! 

Are there any you can suggest?


A mistake I have made (which I'm trying to conquer now) was to only buy make-up for when I had tan on. Which left me wanting to not go bare even more. I'm now starting to build up my pale collection, just as much as my dark.


What's your take? Are you a fan of the tan or do you prefer au naturel?



Like what you read? Follow me on BlogLovin' to keep updated with all my posts

bloglovin symbol

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I don't use fake tan. I'm not a sunbather really either. It's on trend to be pale and interesting - embrace it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so pale anymore, but some people would say I looked grey when I was younger. Now I just use a gradual tanner every once in a while. I went slightly overboard with the St Tropez for a few months.
    I would not be a happy bunny if an air hostess said that to me.

    www.daisiegrace.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in South Africa where our summers were long and hot and I have always been able to tan very well but my partner burns straight away and goes red so I think if your susceptible to burning than fake tan is a safer option

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete